Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

"The souls of people and animals" Emily Burns - Interview

TH & Stary Van Dam Stary



First look and first reaction - disbelief
Second look and reaction -  curiosity
Third ... conclusion that Emily Burns and her art is definitely something worth knowing. If you agree, read this correspondence interview :)







Neso Art:  Emily,please tell us something about place you raised and where do you live right now.


Emily: I was born in the US and still live there today. I was born in Virginia and grew up on a farm. Later, I moved to a farm in Pennsylvania. Living in the country and without the influence of television strongly influences my work and my perspective. To this day I prefer being in the country.


Neso Art: Do you think the place you currently live affects the way you create your art ?


Emily:  Living in the country and without the influence of television strongly influences my work and my perspective. To this day I prefer being in the country.




Neso Art: Are there any particular things you like and don't like about the place you live in ?
Emily : I travel to many cities across the US and overseas a great deal of the time, primarily NYC. I love visiting these places, but I prefer to locate my main studio in a smaller, quieter setting. The downside, of course, to living in a small town is the absence of a strong artistic community and access to museums and exhibitions, etc. but I find it easier to focus on my work for long periods of time and then travel to the cities to be a part of the scene as much as I can in-between shows. 



Neso Art:  Let's talk a little bit about your inspirations. Are there any specific things that inspire you the most?

Emily: The people around me and my reaction to the world we live in are what confuse/inspire me the most. I spend a lot of time thinking about people and what motivates them. I read a lot.

 


Neso Art:  Do you listen to music while you work?

Emily:  I listen to so much music. When I am working I try to investigate new music and re-examine music from the past as much as I can. I also like podcasts and radio shows, though music is my primary studio companion.





Neso Art:  Is there any reason you choose that subject of your works ? Is there any hidden meaning ? :)

Emily:  The meaning behind my work is not so much hidden, but can be interpreted in a variety of ways depending upon the viewer. I am interested in creating a dialogue about the history of imagery, primarily the use of the female form throughout history and today, in all its of forms. From classical painting to digital photography and advertising, I believe it is important to consider the way these images have proliferated and what they mean. There are so many subliminal messages that people don't stop to consider.


Neso Art: Do you find that your work typically comes out as you saw it in your mind’s eye or does it change as you are translating it to the page ?

Emily:  It depends on the piece, but I spend a lot of time creating my compositions before I begin painting. I usually have a very clear idea of what I want, but sometimes I change my mind while working and surprise myself.

  




 

Neso Art: Do you have any interests besides Art ?
Emily:  One of my problems is that I have far too many interests! I love cooking, eating, sewing, horseback riding, running, reading, playing the guitar, hiking, the outdoors and hammocks!

Neso Art: What artists are you currently following?
Emily:  I often like work that is very different from my own. Recently I have been very interested in the work of Karen Ann Myers, Alison Schulnik, and Tony Fitzpatrick.











Neso Art:  Do you own or collect work by any artists?
Emily: I love collecting pieces from friends and fellow artists, and my walls are so full that I need to figure out where to put all of the things I would like to buy in the future...




Neso Art: how do you work mostly?

Emily:  Primarily, I ask my friends to model and create environments and scenes in which to photograph them. I edit the photos in photoshop, collaging them with other photos, tearing them apart, and rebuilding them into a composition that I find interesting. I then translate these images into paint

Neso Art:  Can you say something about your technique ?

Emily: I use a variety of techniques in my work. I usually work in oil on canvas or panel, but I use everything from graphite and ink to acrylic, gouache, etc.
 







Neso Art:  Would you agree with the opinion, that using modern technology to create art is recourse to art itself ?

Emily: Not sure if I totally understand the question, but I think using modern technology to create art is important. Technology is such a huge part of our daily lives that it would be hard not to acknowledge its existence.




























Neso Art: The place you will never forget.

Emily: The farm in Manassas, Va. where I lived until I was 8.  We lived on a gorgeous pond with lots of dogs, fishing and wild blackberries. Basically, heaven.

Neso Art: What about your side projects ?Do you have any?


Emily: HA! I have so many that I wouldn't even know where to start. I love illustration, graphic design, photography, and music so I am constantly working on projects that involve all of them.


Neso Art: Do you remember your first painting or drawing ? How did you start ?

Emily: I painted my first "portrait" when I was four. My parents were so impressed that I made an actual face at that age that they framed it.





Neso Art: What are you working on at the moment?

Emily:  I am currently scheming on the subject for my next series of paintings. I have been working on some new ideas for a while now and I am excited to get started. 

























Neso Art: What are you working on at the moment?

Emily:  I am currently scheming on the subject for my next series of paintings. I have been working on some new ideas for a while now and I am excited to get started. 


Neso Art:  Do you like classic art ? Do you have favourite classic artists ?

Emily: I grew up looking at the work of the old masters and Michelangelo was my all-time favorite.

Neso Art:  Do you think it's possible to do art for a living nowadays ?

Emily: I think it is definitely possible, though difficult. You have to be creative in the different ways that you create work and try to earn a living from it, but it can be done!



 
Neso Art: Your Favourite movie/actor

Emily: My favorite movie at the moment is Idiocracy, which is a fantastically funny and genius comedy about the future, and the demise of our culture.



Neso Art: What is the universe to you ? :)

Emily: The souls of the people and animals that you love and love you back.




Hope you enjoyed like we did ;)

If you're interested to explore more of Emily's art check out her website


Thank you for the attention
TH&Stary Van Dam Stary


















< >