Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

DAYDREAM - Rino Stefano Tagliafierro INTERVIEW

THe&Stary Van Dam Starry
Justyna Wichrowska



You never know how many interesting things you can accidentally find during house parties. Especially if there's access to youtube :)
Someone approaches the computer and turns on a video. Within the next 10 minutes you're in a completely different world and you can't believe in what's happening on the screen. 10 minutes after you're still paralysed and still asking yourself: What the hell has just happened?:)

More or less this is how I came across the work of Rino Stefano Tagliaffiero – an Italian experimental animator and director.



This very impressive short film is called "Beauty" and it’s Rino’s latest video. It's quite different from what we usually show on our blog. Nevertheless, it's still true art. So here we go:







Let’s see what Rino has to say about "Beauty", the rest of his productions and some other things... 

Neso Art:  
You live in Milan, don't you? I associate it with AC Milan. Do you like football? 

Rino:
Yes, I live in Milan. I love watching and playing football, but I'm not a big enthusiast. I’m a fan of SSC Naples.

Neso Art: 
Do you consider Milan as an artist-friendly place?

Rino:
I'm a director. I don’t feel like an artist. Therefore, I don't know how the art world really works. But there are many ways, opportunities and places to express the art that you have inside.
Neso Art:  
Let's talk about your latest video called "Beauty". Why did you put it into "experimental" folder? What do you mean by “experimental”?

Rino:
Because beauty is an experiment that brings together the coldness of technology with the fieriness of emotions expressed by art.
“Experimental” is not a tag or a label. It's a risk, it’s a plunge into something that is unconscious.





Neso Art:  
I have to admit that you have made a step towards what I believe is a new direction in experiential art.  Creating an illusion of depth in classical paintings and setting them in motion is a brilliant idea, and I think it will be a new trend enabling us to perceive art on a completely different level. Would you agree with that? 

Rino: 
Yes, I agree but my intention was to make a reflection about the human emotions, not about art.

 


Neso Art:
Can you describe the genesis of "Beauty"? Was it 100 % your idea?

Rino:
Of course! “Beauty” is 100% mine. The idea of "BEAUTY" was conceived by facing the challenge to describe most important emotions that everyone can feel in their lives, from birth to death through fear, sexuality, pain and love.

Neso Art:  
Are you going to do the same with modern art? There are limitless options. Maybe Salvador Dali?  

Rino:   
The possibilities are certainly endless. But my intention was to reflect on human emotions, not on the history of art.

The works of Dalì, however, lend themselves perfectly to the technique I used in “Beauty”.


/ can you imagine using that technique in Dali's paintings?:) /  


Neso Art: 
Let's talk about your other works. One of my favs is "The Parking". What was people's reaction to that movie? 

Rino:
"The Parking" tells a story of love between two people having a unique opportunity to interact: only by touching each other’s hands.
The two actors are my friends, who were very enthusiastic about the film. They enjoyed themselves and got a bit dirty, too :D
 

Neso Art: 
How do you choose music and sounds for your films?

Rino:
The music was composed specifically for the video.
When I finished editing the video, I commissioned the sound designer Enrico Ascoli to make the music, and he perfectly understood what I had in my mind.







Neso Art:
Can you tell me something about your cooperation with Aphex Twin? Have you met Richard David James personally? 

Rino:
It is an unofficial video, unfortunately, so I had no chance to meet Mr Richard James.   

Neso Art:
Where did the idea for your film "Gweli Mernans" come from? 





Rino: 
I love Aphex Twin, especially that song. I imagined a romantic, yet a very disturbing situation, so I decided to direct that video. 

Neso Art:
You’ve been active in your profession for quite some time. Can you say something about your beginnings? Your first projects and people you worked with?

Rino:
I started as a graphic designer. Then, as I progressed with the curriculum of my studies, I entered the world of films.
I set out with making experimental films to understand the possibilities of the video medium.
My first award was for the creation of an official video for Four Tet, an artist whom I have always followed. To me, it is a source of great pride.


Neso Art:
Who is your mentor among directors?

Rino:
Certainly David Lynch and Chris Cunningham

Neso Art:  
Do you have any favorite painters?

Rino: 
Caravaggio, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, Dino Valls

Caravaggio

Neso Art:  
 What are you working on at the moment? Your plans for the future? 

Rino:
Since the project "Beauty" was just born, I want to enter major festivals around the world and, at the same time, take the time to develop an idea that is taking shape in my mind.
I want to make a short animated film with a special technique that deepens my exploration of the movement.
 

Neso Art:  
What is the Universe to you?:)

Rino:
Be created. Daydream



Neso Art: Thank you for the conversation. Looking forward to seeing more of your films.

Rino: Thank you too. I'll give you all my best.

And, last but not least, something special from Rino Stefano Tagliafierro:



If you like Rino's creativeness  you can check his website here

See you soon.
THe & Stary Van Dam Starry 
Justyna Wichrowska 

 



 




 
 
 


 













< >